Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Breastfeeding goals

I was breastfed. I want to say until at least 10 months of age. I can't remember. My mom told me once. After we found out that I was pregnant with Kayla, I knew that I wanted to breastfeed. It was very important to me and I wanted to provide her the best thing I had to offer. Aside from my unconditional love and care, of course!

It was hard for me when Kayla was born and wouldn't latch at the hospital. It seemed so easy this whole breastfeeding process - you put your boob out, baby latches, and then bam! you're done. Boy was I wrong! We tried everyday while we were at the hospital. The lactation consultant saw me several times while we were there. I kept trying and trying but it just wouldn't happen. I wasn't ready to give up yet. I had every intention that I will try again.

We came home from the hospital, my milk came in, and I pumped everyday, several times a day. It was a lot of work but I was willing to do it for Kayla. I was waking up several times in the middle of the night so I could pump and keep up with her milk needs.

And then one day it happened - she latched out of nowhere! This was 6 or so weeks after she was born. The funny thing about the timing is that the following day we were supposed to see the pediatrician so she can give me some tips and show me some tricks to help Kayla latch. I was very quick to call her and cancel the appointment and to deliver the good news that we were really breastfeeding. Eversince then during every appointment, she would tell me how proud she was that I stuck to my guns and kept on trying to breastfeed. Who knew that almost 9 months later she would still be bf-ing.

I truly am proud that we are still going. I am happy that I am able to give her this. It's great bonding time for us when she feeds. I wouldn't have been able to do all of this if it weren't for my husband, my mom, and Kayla's pediatrician. They supported me and cheered me on through the weeks when it was difficult for us. I want to keep going until Kayla is at least 1. What's even better is that I've lost 20-something pounds because of this!

No comments: