Sunday, November 1, 2009

A Year Ago Today


...we found out that we were pregnant with Kayla. I clearly remember how the morning went but I want to start with the night before.

We were at a friend's house for a little Halloween get-together and to give candy out. I remember how after all the trick or treaters were gone, everyone sat around the dining table - drinking, eating, and getting mad at each other while playing Cranium. I was 3 days late then and I went to the bathroom for what seems like every 30 minutes that night - I blamed the beer.

Jay and I both had the weekend off and we slept in the next morning. When we got up I went to the grocery store to get stuff for breakfast and I stopped by CVS to get a pregnancy test just to see. I came home and J started cooking breakfast. I went straight to the bathroom to pee on the stick. He didn't know I got the pregnancy test. I didn't want to tell him and I wanted to surprise him with the result - whatever it may be. I remember sitting the stick on the bathroom counter and not even 5 seconds later I saw two lines - one was very defined and the other one was a little on the pale side. But a line is a line. I walked over to the kitchen and told J the news. I think my choice of words were "I think we're kinda pregnant". He told me to STFU. We both could not believe it. I took two more pregnancy tests that day and two more two days later. I wanted to make sure it was real - that I was really pregnant. We also went to Target that evening to get me some pre-natal vitamins.

That morning changed our lives forever. Today he made breakfast while I held Kayla. We are now a family. I can't believe it's been a year since that day.

No comments: